Veterans and active members of America’s armed services travel great distances and make great sacrifices to preserve and protect freedom and liberty and now race fans can honor these service men and women during the SHOWTIME Southern 500 weekend at Darlington Raceway.
The American Veterans Traveling Tribute (AVTT) Traveling Wall will visit Darlington Raceway on Friday, May 6 from 9:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. and Saturday, May 7 from 10:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Fans are invited to attend a special wreath laying ceremony at the Wall at 10:30 a.m. on Friday, May 6.
The Traveling Wall is an 80 percent scale version of the Vietnam Memorial in Washington D.C. Across its 370-foot length the wall contains every single name etched on the original. At its apex the memorial is an impressive eight-feet tall. The traveling wall was completed in early 1998 and began traveling that year. AVTT’s traveling wall is the largest Wall replica traveling the United States.
The mission of the project is to travel the nation to honor, respect, and remember men and women who served, and to pay specific tribute to those who gave all in that service. Since the tribute is mobile it allows people to honor and respect veterans and active military personnel without having to travel great distances to do so.
The other memorials and exhibits included in the AVTT event include:
· The Cost of Freedom Memorial: A series of stand-up exhibits created in gold dog tags to record the names of those who gave their lives for our freedom during Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom.
· 911 Memorials: A stand-up exhibit to make sure we never forget the tragedies that took place on 9/11. Each name is recorded according to their location at the time of the tragedy.
· Walk Of Heroes: A series of stand-up’s that pay tribute and provide education regarding our country’s history, as well as conflicts America was involved in to insure our freedom.
· Vietnam Remembered: A series of stand-up exhibits of the Vietnam timeline, for viewing, education, and reflection.
· Tribute Panel: Anyone can purchase a custom inscribed dog tag to place on our tribute panel. This is a tribute and a personal message to a loved one, past or present.
· 1980-2000 Conflicts: A stand-up display with the listing of the names, photos, and information on all the conflicts our country has been involved in between 1980-2000.
· World War II: To assure all living veterans are honored, AVTT presents displays of pictures and information, which includes timelines and casualty by country stand-up displays to pay specific tribute to WWII veterans.
· Korean War: A beautiful pictorial display of the men who fought the forgotten war along with battle maps and the war timeline.
Race fans are encouraged to visit the display located in the display/vendor area behind the Tyler Tower grandstand. AVTT staff will be onsite and can assist fans in finding names of loved ones honored on the Traveling Wall display.
Darlington Raceway PR