Weather impedes Friday qualifying sessions at AMS
Mother Nature got the best of Friday’s afternoon qualifying at Atlanta Motor Speedway for both the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series and NASCAR Xfinity Series, as the respective sessions were canceled due to rain in the area.
NCTS points leader Zane Smith will start on the pole for Saturday’s Fr8 208 (2 p.m. ET, FS1, MRN, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio). The subsequent lineup will be set by performance metrics per the NASCAR Rule Book: 15% of a fastest lap time position in the previous series event, 25% of the driver’s final race finish position in the previous series event, 25% of the owner’s final race finish position in the previous event and 35% of the Owner Points position.
Sammy Smith, who won last week’s showdown at Phoenix Raceway, will lead the pack to begin Saturday’s Xfinity Series RAPTOR King of Tough 250 (5 p.m. ET, FS1, PRN, SiriusXM).
While Mother Nature won the day Friday, forecasts for Saturday’s slate of on-track action at AMS are much more favorable. Qualifying for the Ambetter Health 400 precedes the doubleheader racing with the Fr8 208 and RAPTOR King of Tough 250 running back-to-back. The weekend culminates with the Ambetter Health 400 on Sunday.
Tickets and camping options for the weekend remain available at AtlantaMotorSpeedway.com or by calling 877-9-AMS-TIX.
Latest from Speedway Digest Staff
- After Five Months Away, Shane Sexton Returned to Usac/Cra Competition at Perris Auto Speedway
- 11th Annual Short Track Shootout Pays $10K to Win This Saturday Night at Madera
- NASCAR Truck Series Driver Returns to Winchester With Unfinished Business
- A Rally for the ROVAL: Joey Logano, Michael Waltrip Kick Off Race Week
- Myatt Snider / No. 19 Tree Top Toyota GR Supra Preview - Drive For The Cure 250 at the Charlotte Motor Speedway ROVAL