NASCAR fans can try Delaware-themed food selections ranging from scrapple to crab cakes next month as part of Dover International Speedway’s 50th Anniversary celebrations, track officials announced today.
As part of a collaboration with SoDel Concepts, a restaurant group based in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, the Monster Mile designed a special concession menu featuring many First State favorites for the May 3-5 NASCAR tripleheader weekend at Dover International Speedway, including the “Gander RV 400” Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race on Sunday, May 5.
The new offerings are presented in collaboration with Delaware on Tap, the Delaware Tourism Office’s smartphone application guide to the state’s craft beverage makers. The free download from the App Store and Google Play connects more than 30 breweries, wineries, distilleries, meaderies and cideries, features information on events, tours and transportation, and offers a free prize to users who visit 10 sites.
“We’re excited to be partnering with Dover International Speedway for its 50th Anniversary to highlight the best in Delaware drink and food for the tens of thousands of visitors who come to the state on race weekends,” said Liz Keller, Delaware Tourism Director. “We hope experiencing so much Delaware fun right at the track will inspire them to explore even more of the state’s endless discoveries, including taste testing their way along the many locations of Delaware on Tap.”
The Delaware-themed selections, available in a centralized location outside the track’s frontstretch grandstand, will include:
- Delaware Destroyer: Waffle-cut fries, crab béchamel, white cheddar, scallions, bacon and Old Bay seasoning
- Fried Softshell Sandwich: Buttermilk flash fried softshell crab, arugula, corn relish, tartar and a potato roll
- Jimmie Jam: Hand-crafted griddled scrapple, foot long hot dog, fresh lobster and apple slaw
- Miles Stop ‘N Go Pork Rinds: Bag of flash fried pork rinds with nacho cheese spice
- Monster Mile Street Fries: Waffle-cut fries, chorizo sloppy joe, pico de gallo, cotija, lime mayo, cilantro, and crushed Doritos
- Pit Stop Southern Boiled Peanuts: Southern shrimp boil peanuts, creole spices
- Slingshot Scrapple Grilled Cheese: Scrapple, American cheese, fried egg and white bread
- Sticky Icky Fried Rice Bowl: Four-time award winning fried chicken morsels, shaved vegetables, fried egg and special sauce.
- The Ricky Bobby: Shake and bake fried chicken, hand-blended dry seasonings, cole slaw, buttermilk aioli and potato roll.
- Turn 1 Delaware Half Smoke: Pork and beef link, sauerkraut and beer mustard
Delaware-based restaurants, food trucks, tents and concession stands will also be on hand throughout the weekend, including:
- Zogg’s Sea Hogg food truck: Featuring tacos, cabbage wraps, po boys, mac and cheese and more
- Top Five BBQ Bakery food truck: Traditional barbecue favorites, including pulled chicken nachos and brisket
- Wildwich food truck: Offers a variety of hot and cold sandwiches, salads, soups and sides
- Sherri’s Crab Cakes: More than 1 million crab cakes sold, made with lump and jumbo lump crab meat along with special spices
- Bunting’s Popcorn: Offers kettle corn, movie popcorn, pretzel dogs and cotton candy
- Frankie’s Monster Mile Café: Dover Downs mobile restaurant will have its many Italian treats, along with two bar and seating options, available in Victory Plaza
- Grotto Pizza: A favorite at the Delaware beaches and beyond
- Rita’s Water Ice: Terrific treat for sunny days in the grandstands
Draft beers from First State breweries Fordham & Dominion (Dover), Mispillion River Brewing (Milford) and Blue Earl Brewery (Smyrna) – all of which are part of Delaware on Tap – will also be available during the track’s 50th Anniversary Bash on Saturday, May 4 from 3-7 p.m. at the Xfinity Stage in Victory Plaza. Dover worked with Fordham & Dominion over the winter to produce Splash & Go, an easy drinking lager perfect for sipping in the Monster Mile grandstands during the races. The special anniversary lager will be available for purchase all weekend long.
“From a fan’s perspective, we promised this year was going to be like no other year in the history of our track,” said Mike Tatoian, Dover International Speedway’s president and CEO. “Our Delaware relationships and roots are going to play a major part in our 50th Anniversary celebration and we are thrilled to be able to work with our partners at SoDel and Delaware on Tap to curate this unique offering of Delaware-centric choices. Make sure you bring your appetite with you the track in a few weeks.
“And if all you want is a burger and a hot dog, don’t worry, we’ve got you covered there too!”
Maryland-based vendors include:
- Smoke, Rattle & Roll (Centreville, Md.): Offers tacos, nachos, mac and cheese and BBQ sandwiches with topping options of chicken, pork or brisket
- Kona Ice of Bel Air (Street, Md.): Top flavors include lucky lime, island rush and monster mango
The May 3-5 NASCAR tripleheader weekend also includes the “JEGS 200” NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series race on Friday, May 3, and the “Allied Steel Buildings 200” NASCAR Xfinity Series Dash 4 Cash race on Saturday, May 4.
The special food options are just part of Dover’s planned 50th Anniversary celebrations surrounding the May 3-5 NASCAR tripleheader weekend. In addition to the special gold Monster trophies given to the race winners and free 1:64-scale Dover diecast cars to the first 15,000 guests on May 5, fans can also enjoy multiple free performances by the famous Harlem Globetrotters in the 8-acre FanZone, a free Charlie Daniels Band concert on the Xfinity Stage in Victory Plaza, free appearances by country music star John Rich, as well as Micro Wrestling Federation matches, Del Rods Car Club car shows, a Winston Cup Mobile Museum display, on-site NASCAR and sports betting and much more.
The Monster Mile’s Oct. 4-6 NASCAR tripleheader weekend features the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East race on Friday, Oct. 4, the NASCAR Xfinity Series playoff race on Saturday, Oct. 5 and the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series playoff race on Sunday, Oct. 6. The Oct. 6, 2019 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series playoff race will be the 100th NASCAR Cup Series race in track history. Dover International Speedway will be the 10th track in the nation to host 100 NASCAR Cup Series races.
Keep up to date on all 50th Anniversary announcements and schedules by visiting DoverSpeedway.com or calling (800) 441-RACE. You can also keep up with all track activities at Facebook.com/DoverInternationalSpeedway, or on Twitter and Instagram at @MonsterMile.
Dover Motorsports PR