Aric Almirola Helps Carry on Petty Tradition at Martinsville Speedway
Petty race teams have been competing at the .526-mile Martinsville (Va.) Speedway since 1949, when Lee Petty finished second when track was a dirt oval. As the years went by, Lee, Richard Petty, Jimmy Hensley and John Andretti all collected wins at the historical track under the Petty name. A total of 20 grandfather clocks have been gathered along the way.
Aric Almirola has also found success at Martinsville. In 17 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series starts, he has a best finish of fourth at the track to go along with two more Top-10 finishes. His best start is third.
"The success that all the Petty teams and particularly the '43' have had at Martinsville (Va.) Speedway is incredible. It's amazing to think that this team has won here 20 times (Cup and Truck Series). Although I haven't won at Martinsville yet, I'm proud to have raced up front in the Smithfield No. 43. I've finished fourth and have had a few more Top-10 finishes, all with Richard Petty Motorsports.
"It seems we always have a good car when we unload at Martinsville. I have a good feel for the track and what it takes to be fast there, too. It's always a long race. Beating and banging, tempers flaring, everything you see in a typical short track is what you get in this race. But, I know how to save the equipment and be there at the end. I always feel we have a chance of winning in the '43' at Martinsville. I'd love to do that for Smithfield this weekend and help carry on that winning tradition.
Latest from Speedway Digest Staff
- AAN Adjusters Signs Multi-Race Sponsorship Deal With Tommy Joe Martins and Martins Motorsports for 2020 NASCAR Xfinity Series Season
- New year, new amenities: Bristol Motor Speedway to enhance guest raceday experience with fan friendly upgrades and concepts
- Drydene Xtreme DIRTcar Series Event at Cochran Canceled, Cherokee Set for Sunday
- Martins Motorsports renews partnership with Gilreath Farms Red Angus
- Christopher Bell ready for Daytona 500 debut with Procore
More in this category: « New Spokes-Athlete-Leberity Driver Takes Mountain Dew Wheel From Dale Earnhardt Jr. Axalta Debuts Cromax EZ on Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s Last NASCAR Cup Series Car at the 2017 SEMA Show »