Almirola Looks to Conquer "Tricky Triangle" This Weekend
Hot off a Top-15 finish in the Brickyard 400, Aric Almirola looks for a strong run at the famed "Tricky Triangle" after missing the first race at the track this season due to injury. Darrell "Bubba" Wallace Jr. filled in for the injured Almirola in the June race, where he started 16th and scored a 26th-place finish. The No. 43 Smithfield crew made strides in the car's handling and look to build off what they learned in June to bring Almirola a fast car this weekend.
Almirola made 10 starts at Pocono Raceway in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup series with a best start of 10th (2013) and a best finish of 18th. Almirola scored an 11th-place finish in his lone XFINITY Series start at the "Tricky Triangle" in 2016 and finished fourth in his one Camping World Truck Series start in 2010.
"Pocono is definitely tricky. It's one of the more difficult tracks on the circuit to get a good feel in the car. We've struggled in the past to find a setup that works well in all three turns. I missed the race earlier this year, but the team seemed to make good adjustments during the race to make the Smithfield Ford better. We'll look to build on that this weekend and work to get a good finish."
Latest from Speedway Digest Staff
- Eddie Tafoya impressive during Indiana Sprint Week -- headed back for Smackdown
- Self Makes it a 2020 DAYTONA Sweep, Winning Historical Road Course Race
- Andretti Blazes Top ‘Fast Friday’ Lap since 1996 as Andretti Autosport Flexes Muscle
- Fans Can Enjoy Indy 500 Qualifying on NBC Sports, Pennzoil INDYCAR Radio Network
- New COVID-Safe Tour Offers Fans Unique Way to Visit Charlotte Motor Speedway