Almirola Looks to Conquer "Tricky Triangle" This Weekend
Hot off a Top-15 finish in the Brickyard 400, Aric Almirola looks for a strong run at the famed "Tricky Triangle" after missing the first race at the track this season due to injury. Darrell "Bubba" Wallace Jr. filled in for the injured Almirola in the June race, where he started 16th and scored a 26th-place finish. The No. 43 Smithfield crew made strides in the car's handling and look to build off what they learned in June to bring Almirola a fast car this weekend.
Almirola made 10 starts at Pocono Raceway in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup series with a best start of 10th (2013) and a best finish of 18th. Almirola scored an 11th-place finish in his lone XFINITY Series start at the "Tricky Triangle" in 2016 and finished fourth in his one Camping World Truck Series start in 2010.
"Pocono is definitely tricky. It's one of the more difficult tracks on the circuit to get a good feel in the car. We've struggled in the past to find a setup that works well in all three turns. I missed the race earlier this year, but the team seemed to make good adjustments during the race to make the Smithfield Ford better. We'll look to build on that this weekend and work to get a good finish."
Latest from Speedway Digest Staff
- Kemery enters Atlantic City Boardwalk Hall Indoor Racing events, Jan. 31 - Feb. 1
- Eddie Tafoya impresses in Chili Bowl debut - sprint cars next on the agenda
- Dr. Low non-qualifiers race added to Atlantic City Indoor Racing January 31 - February 1
- Gianmarco Ercoli and CAAL Racing back together to aim at the NWES title
- Awards gala sets stage for 2020 season at All American Speedway
More in this category: « Unique Pretzel Bakery Joins Whitt TriStar No. 72 Kevin Harvick Fun, But Challenging »