Aric Almirola Nominated for Premios Univision Deportes Best Car Racing Performance Award
Univision Deportes, the sport division of Univision Communications Inc., the leading media company serving Hispanic America, announced today that Cuban American NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver Aric Almirola is nominated for the Best Car Racing Performance Award in the inaugural Premios Univision Deportes awards. The two-hour show is the ultimate sports award show for U.S. Hispanics honoring top athletes and teams from the leagues and sports that Hispanics care about most.
Nomination is based on athletic performance and accomplishments in 2014. Almirola became the first Cuban American driver to win a NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race when he captured his first win in the Coke Zero 400 Powered by Coca-Cola at Daytona International Speedway in July. The win secured him a spot in the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup, NASCAR's official playoffs, another first for a Cuban American driver in the sport.
Almirola got his start in NASCAR when Joe Gibbs signed him to participate in the Joe Gibbs Racing/Reggie White Driver Diversity Program. The then 19-year-old, who was studying mechanical engineering at the University of Central Florida, moved to North Carolina and began competing and winning in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series and NASCAR Nationwide Series. He signed fulltime to race the iconic No. 43 for Richard Petty Motorsports in 2012.
Premios Univision Deportes will air on UniMás on Thursday, December 18th at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT with a simulcast on UDN (Univision Deportes Network). For a full list of nominations, please visit univisiondeportes.com/PremiosUD.
Latest from Speedway Digest Staff
- AAN Adjusters Signs Multi-Race Sponsorship Deal With Tommy Joe Martins and Martins Motorsports for 2020 NASCAR Xfinity Series Season
- New year, new amenities: Bristol Motor Speedway to enhance guest raceday experience with fan friendly upgrades and concepts
- Drydene Xtreme DIRTcar Series Event at Cochran Canceled, Cherokee Set for Sunday
- Martins Motorsports renews partnership with Gilreath Farms Red Angus
- Christopher Bell ready for Daytona 500 debut with Procore