Christian Eckes Earns Top-Five Finish in the SiriusXM Tundra at Pocono Raceway
In just his seventh NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series start, Christian Eckes earned his first career top-five finish with a fourth-place finish at Pocono Raceway. On Friday morning, Eckes posted the fifth-fastest time in first practice and the sixth-fastest time in second practice for the NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series. Friday afternoon, Eckes left victory lane after winning the ARCA Menards Series race to qualify his No. 51 SiriusXM Tundra, and earned the 13th starting position.
Drivers strapped in for 60 laps on Saturday afternoon and Eckes quickly began to move toward the front. At the end of the first stage, Eckes had made it to the seventh position, and as the laps wound down he climbed into the top five and took the checkered flag in fourth.
Stage One Recap:
- Eckes qualified the No. 51 SiriusXM Tundra in the 13th position.
- After several cautions in the opening laps, Eckes worked his way into the top-10 by lap 8.
- He reported that his Tundra was chattering tight and hard to turn in the center and exit of the corners.
- At the end of the first 15-lap stage, Eckes was seventh.
- Crew chief Rudy Fugle elected to stay out following the stage.
Stage Two Recap:
- Eckes began the second stage in sixth.
- Eckes remained in the top-10 for the second stage, pitting under green on lap 27 for four tires and a small repair to the left front fender, which was damaged from contact with another vehicle.
- The Middletown, N.Y.-native, finished the second stage in the 22nd position after short-pitting.
Stage Three Recap:
- After the rest of the field pit, Eckes started the final 30-lap stage in the fourth position.
- The young driver remained in the top-five and attempted to challenge for the lead in closing laps, but ultimately he would cross the finish line in fourth.
- This was Eckes' first top-five finish in the NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series.
Latest from Speedway Digest Staff
- Chevrolet captures NASCAR Xfinity Series manufacturer cup
- Menard To Make Final Cup Start From 19th Place
- Todd Gilliland Concludes Season with Eighth-Place Finish at Homestead in No. 4 JBL/SiriusXM Tundra
- Camaro SS powers Tyler Reddick to NXS Championship
- Ford EcoBoost 300 results from Homestead Miami Speedway
More in this category: « Ross Chastain Earns Third Truck Series Win of the Season Harrison Burton Wins Stage and Equals Career-Best Finish at Pocono »