Burton Wins Pole and Earns Career-Best Truck Finish at Iowa
Seventeen-year-old Harrison Burton earned his first career NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) pole position at Iowa Speedway and led the field for the first 30 laps of the 175-mile race. After an issue at the end of Stage One which sent him to the rear of the field, Burton battled back to earn a career best third-place finish in his Morton Buildings Tundra.
Stage One Recap:
- Burton started from the pole and led the first 30 laps of the M&M's 200.
- He finished the first 60-lap stage in third, but had an issue trying to restart his Tundra. He coasted to pit road before the pits opened to fix the problem, which sent him to the tail of the lead lap to start the second stage.
Stage Two Recap:
- Burton restarted back in 22nd place, but did not stay there for long. Within 10 laps he was up to 12th and got back into the top 10 by lap 91.
- By the end of Stage Two on lap 120 he was in eighth place. Since he had pitted just before the stage ended, he moved up to third place to start the final stage.
Stage Three Recap:
- Burton started the final 80-lap stage in third place. His Morton Buildings Tundra was a bit tight and he fell back to fourth.
- Burton battled veteran driver David Gilliland for third for several laps and eventually got by him with 21 to go.
- With 15 laps remaining, Burton was gaining on first and second. As the laps wound down, he was in perfect position if the two trucks ahead of him got into each other fighting for the lead.
- Coming to the checkered flag, KBM teammate Noah Gragson made his move but could not hold off the eventual winner, Brett Moffitt. Burton crossed the line third for his best career finish in the NCWTS.
Latest from Speedway Digest Staff
- Chevrolet captures NASCAR Xfinity Series manufacturer cup
- Menard To Make Final Cup Start From 19th Place
- Todd Gilliland Concludes Season with Eighth-Place Finish at Homestead in No. 4 JBL/SiriusXM Tundra
- Camaro SS powers Tyler Reddick to NXS Championship
- Ford EcoBoost 300 results from Homestead Miami Speedway