Ben Rhodes - 2017 Daytona Recap
Ben Rhodes, driver of the No. 27 Safelite AutoGlass Toyota Tundra, looked poised to get his first career NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) win in Friday night's NextEra Energy Resources 250 at Daytona (Fl.) International Speedway. The ThorSport Racing driver, who finished third in Segment one of NASCAR's new race format, and 12th in Segment two, restarted the third and final Segment seventh, on lap 46. On lap 52, Rhodes took the lead, leading the field twice for 20 laps. With four laps remaining in the 100-lap event, a caution was displayed for a spin in Turn 2, setting the field up for a green-white-checker flag finish. The Safelite AutoGlass driver restarted third and worked with teammate, Grant Enfinger to lead the outside line into Turn 2 on the final lap. Unfortunately, Rhodes would get sideways coming out of Turn 2, ultimately causing the "Big One" and relegating the sophomore driver to a 12th-place finish behind race winner, Kaz Grala.
"ThorSport worked really, really, really well together tonight. I had my teammate Grant Enfinger pushing behind me and he was trying to push me to the win. We had the momentum on the high side, going three-wide. Unfortunately, I was still being pushed coming off the corner - this is where the truck feels weightless and is most out of the racetrack. I was pushed sideways and couldn't hang on. I then had direct contact with my other teammate, Matt (Crafton). Unfortunately, we were all wrecked. Now we are going to have to Safelite repair Safelite replace all of the trucks. One of the ThorSport trucks was going to win the race."
Latest from Steven B. Wilson
- Pre-Race Ceremonies presented by Virginia 811 to Create Memorable Moments for Go Bowling 250 & Federated Auto Parts 400 on Sept. 20-21
- Liberty University extends 12-race sponsorship of William Byron's No. 24 team through 2021
- Join IMS Museum’s “Over the Ropes/Under the Hood” Event Oct. 15 for Unprecedented Access to Legendary Cars, Expert Commentary
- World Wide Technology Raceway partners with IdealSeat; Is the first motorsports facility to utilize this technology
- Five Drivers Will Highlight Pre-Race Experience at Martinsville Speedway During First Data 500 Weekend