Rico Abreu - 2016 Chicago Recap
Rico Abreu Race Recap:
Rico Abreu, driver of the No. 98 Safelite Toyota Tundra, made his track debut at Chicagoland Speedway in Friday night's American Ethanol E15 225. Starting 15th, the ThorSport Racing driver ran as high as fourth, but settled for a 19th-place finish, due to a tire issue late in the 150-lap event.
Starting from the 15th position, Abreu battled a loose Safelite Toyota Tundra early in the 8th annual event. Crew chief Doug George brought the No. 98 machine to pit road under caution at laps 47, 84, and 106, respectively, for four tires, fuel, and adjustments. Running consistently inside the top-15 through the first 50 laps of the event, Abreu was scored inside the top-10 by lap 75, and even cracked the top-five before coming to pit road late in the race for a scheduled stop under caution. A mix of pit strategies would force the ThorSport Racing driver to restart 17th on lap 109. Making his way back through traffic, Abreu was forced to pit road, under green, at lap 135 for a flat tire. As a result, Abreu would lose valuable ground to the race leaders, and settle for a 19th-place finish behind race winner, Kyle Busch.
Latest from Speedway Digest Staff
- Sioux Chief to Sponsor ARCA’s “Showdown” Series
- GMS Racing Announces Full-Time Crew Chief and Numbers Assignments for the 2020 Season
- Richmond Raceway Strikes Renewal with Go Bowling for 2020 Fall NASCAR Xfinity Series Regular Season Championship Race Entitlement
- Scott McLaughlin to test Team Penske IndyCar
- ASCS Sooner Region Sets 2020 Slate