Charlotte Native Byron Hopes for a Home-Field Advantage This Weekend
Most athletes prefer playing at home and usually have an advantage when they do play a home game. William Byron is hoping that advantage translates to racing as well. Although the Charlotte, N.C., native and senior at Charlotte Country Day School will be making his first start on the 1.5-mile oval of Charlotte Motor Speedway (CMS), he's been to victory lane there before.
Byron won the Legends All-Star Race on the CMS quarter-mile track in 2013, which was his first year of full-time racing. He went on to win the Winter Heat Series championship in the Legend Car Pro division in 2014, and then earned two wins and seven podium finishes in Charlotte's Summer Shootout Series Legend Car Pro division.
Byron will also have the support of many of his classmates in the grandstands during Friday's NASCAR Camping World Truck Series event. With high school graduation on May 27, many of his fellow seniors are attending the race to support their friend before they all head off on separate paths to college, or careers. Byron will do both in the fall, as he continues to race full time for Kyle Busch Motorsports and he will live on campus attending classes at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va.
With one win under his belt already this season at Kansas Motor Speedway, a win at CMS would not only secure his position in the inaugural Chase, but be a memory his family, friends and classmates in attendance won't soon forget. Although there are no goal posts to tear down in celebration like after a home football game, if Byron wins at Charlotte his post-race burnout will be a great substitute.
Latest from Steven B. Wilson
- Pit Stop of a Different Kind: International Motorsports Hall of Fame Outside Talladega Superspeedway a Must Visit This Week
- Starting Times Announced For Eldora Season Opener
- What’s Happenin’?! It’s Race Week at Talladega Superspeedway – Drivers and Fans Anxious for All that Awaits during Tripleheader Weekend
- Pit Viper Sunglasses To Serve As Primary Sponsor For Vinnie Miller and The No. 78 BJ McLeod Motorsports Team In Talladega
- Skillet & Sevendust to Rock Virginia Credit Union LIVE! at Richmond Raceway on Tuesday, August 13
More in this category: « Christopher Bell Moving in the Right Direction Tyler Young Looking For Jackpot Finish At Charlotte Motor Speedway »