Jim Weiler has waited 27 years for this opportunity. The 43-year-old California driver, who grew up racing street stocks, modifieds, sprints and midget cars on the West Coast since he was 16 years old, will attempt to make his first NASCAR Camping World Truck Series start this weekend at Martinsville Speedway.
Weiler will drive the No. 35 Ford F-150 fielded by Empire Racing Group and will be sponsored by Empire Racing Driver Development, Rodd Renovations and Doug Herbert’s B.R.A.K.E.S. Teen Pro-Active Driving School.
Weiler spent six years as a crew chief in the K&N Pro West Series (2006 – 2012) and has four starts as a driver in that series which came in the past three years. He’s very experienced across all forms of racing, but this will be his first opportunity to race in the premiere NASCAR levels.
“When I first started racing this was the ultimate goal – to get in the top three series in NASCAR,” explained Weiler. “We will see where it goes from here. I’m just focused on this one race right now. My family is really excited about this and will be watching me from home.”
To prepare for the race, the California native recently tested with Empire Racing Group at Caraway Speedway.
“The test at Caraway went really well,” Weiler said. “I felt comfortable on that track and I worked really well with Mike, the crew chief. Overall, it was a solid test and gave us confidence going into this weekend.”
“For goals, my first goal is to make the race,” explained Weiler. “I have to qualify on time. Form there I’d say learn as much as I can, finish all the laps and keep the truck in one piece. And… not ruffle any feathers!”
Empire Racing PR
Jim Weiler Making NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Debut at Martinsville Speedway
Latest from Steven B. Wilson
- Lucas Oil Late Model Doubleheader Weekend Canceled
- SCC, Ballad Health and Niswongers Children's Hospital Partner To Create New Initiative Aimed At Improving The Lives of The Region's Children
- Comcast Bringing Back Popular "Watch Us Watch NASCAR" To @Xfinity On Twitter For NASCAR Xfinity Series Race At Dover International Speedway
- Grossi and Nascimento Partner To Field Holmes At Madera
- Legendary Foyt Cements Legacy with Bronze Brick at IMS