After starting shotgun on the field, David Reutimann and the Black's Tire and Auto Service/fleetHQ.com/QMI Chevrolet team battled their way to an 18th place showing in the N.C. Education Lottery 200 at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
"The guys really got the truck handling well during practice," said Reutimann, who qualified 31st but had to go to the rear of the field prior to the drop of the green flag for missing role call at the drivers meeting. "We battled tight on that one long green flag run, but overall, the truck was better than it has been all year."
The team got out of sequence with the leaders after crew chief Jason Overstreet brought Reutimann in for four tires and fuel during the race's third caution on lap 24. The moved allowed Reutimann to gain valuable track position when the caution waved during a round of green flag pit stops on lap 71. The No. 92 had yet to pit and was running ninth when the yellow waved. Reutimann was able to maintain position in the top five for the next 35 laps, getting as high as third in the running order before being shuffled back late in the running.
"Jason (Overstreet) made some good calls tonight to get us up front and the over-the-wall crew did a great job on pit road," Reutimann said.
Reutimann's run was nearly derailed on lap three, when the trucks of Jennifer Jo Cobb and Brennan Newberry got together at the entrance of the front stretch, sending Newberry spinning in front of the No. 92. Reutimann had to nearly bring the truck to a complete stop to avoid being collected. Later in the running, the No. 5 of Paulie Harraka got loose in turn one and spun after making contact with the No. 92.
"David drove a great race and did a good job staying out of trouble with those guys wrecking around him," said Overstreet. "Had we not seen those last couple of cautions, we would have seen a much different result.
"We'll move on to the next one and make it better there."
Reutimann, RBR Enterprises grind out 18th place finish at CharlotteWritten by Steven B. Wilson
Published in Camping World Series NewsSunday, 20 May 2012 12:52
Latest from Steven B. Wilson
- Hispanic SCORE Buggy Winner to compete in 2015 NASCAR K&N Pro Series WEST Championship with Team Stange Racing
- NASCAR Statement from Brett Jewkes, NASCAR Senior Vice President and Chief Communications Officer, Regarding The Passing Of Denny Darnell
- Athenian Motorsports Set to Run Chevrolet Camaros Full-Time in NASCAR Xfinity Series & Silverados in Entire Camping World Truck Series Season
- Xbox Australia partner with Dick Johnson Racing to bring Marcos Ambrose home for Sydney NRMA 500
- No. 17 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Team Penalized For Rules Infraction At Homestead-Miami