On Saturday, July 26, Ken Block earned the second win of his Red Bull Global Rallycross career at The Dirt Track at Charlotte. Block, driving the #43 Hoonigan Racing Division Ford Fiesta ST, earned the victory on a mostly dirt course over Subaru Rally Team USA’s Sverre Isachsen and SH Racing Rallycross driver Nelson Piquet Jr.
“For me, most of my career has been on gravel and dirt,” said Block. “We were very quick to get the car set up right, to get my Ford Fiesta out to the front and from there be able to find the right lines. The gravel gives us so much more of an opportunity to find different lines and try different stuff. The track constantly changed, and I love that.”
For Piquet and Block, Charlotte marked their second podium finishes in two weeks, as both drivers also made their way to the podium at last weekend’s Volkswagen Rallycross NY. Despite having to race in the last chance qualifier, Piquet, a Charlotte native also extended his provisional championship lead to 46 points over Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross driver Scott Speed.
“It was good to spend a weekend here at home and see friends and family,” Piquet said. “I saw a lot of friends that I made last year in NASCAR around, and it’s good for them to see a new world and more open sport. The weekend had a lot of ups and downs—coming in with the points lead, we tried to eliminate all the risks we had, but until the final it was a rollercoaster ride of emotions. We were just up and down and running around.”
In GRC Lites, Mitchell DeJong won his third race of the season over Olsbergs MSE teammates and brothers Kevin and Oliver Eriksson. DeJong currently leads the GRC Lites championship by 10 points.
Results from Red Bull Global Rallycross Charlotte are as follows:
- Ken Block, #43 Hoonigan Racing Division Ford Fiesta ST
- Sverre Isachsen, #11 Subaru Rally Team USA WRX STI
- Nelson Piquet Jr., #07 SH Racing Rallycross Ford Fiesta ST
- Joni Wiman, #31 Olsbergs MSE Ford Fiesta ST
- Scott Speed, #77 Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross Polo R
- Bucky Lasek, #81 Subaru Rally Team USA WRX STI
- Steve Arpin, #00 Royal Purple Racing/OMSE2 Ford Fiesta
- Tanner Foust, #34 Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross Polo R
- Brian Deegan, #38 Rockstar Energy Drink Ford Fiesta ST
- Austin Dyne, #14 Barracuda Racing Ford Fiesta
- Rhys Millen, #67 Hyundai/Rhys Millen Racing Veloster Turbo
- Emma Gilmour, #27 Hyundai/Rhys Millen Racing Veloster Turbo
- Patrik Sandell, #18 Olsbergs MSE Ford Fiesta ST
Provisional point standings are as follows:
- Nelson Piquet Jr., 227
- Scott Speed, 181
- Steve Arpin, 164
- Joni Wiman, 162
- Ken Block, 155
Red Bull Global Rallycross resumes its 2014 season on August 22-23 at Daytona International Speedway. Tickets are available athttp://www.redbullglobalrallycross.com/DIS. The Red Bull Global Rallycross Midseason Recap will be broadcast on NBC on Sunday, August 3, at 4PM ET.