Todd Gilliland and the No. 4 Mobil 1 team survived a caution-filled UNOH 200 at Bristol Motor Speedway relatively unscathed to earn his 10th top-10 finish of the season. In two NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series practice sessions on Thursday morning, Gilliland posted the 13th-fastest lap in the first practice and was 18th-fastest in final practice. In one round of single-truck qualifying on Thursday afternoon, Gilliland earned the 17th starting spot on a slick track under sunny skies.
Under the lights at Thunder Valley, Gilliland struggled throughout the first stage, but crew chief Wes Ward and the No. 4 team made significant adjustments to work on the handling of the Mobil 1 Tundra and he was able to take advantage of the high rate of attrition and gain positions to finish in the top 10.
Stage One Recap:
- On Thursday afternoon, Gilliland earned the 17th starting spot at the World's Fastest Half-Mile.
- Under the lights on Thursday night, Gilliland struggled with the handling of his Mobil 1 Tundra, reporting that it was free on entry and exit of the corner but tight in the middle.
- Gilliland finished the first stage in 18th and Ward brought him to pit road for four Goodyear tires, Sunoco fuel and a multitude of adjustments.
Stage Two Recap:
- The No. 4 began the second stage in 18th, after a pit stop for adjustments and this time began to work toward the front of the field in the second 55-lap segment, finishing in 12th.
- He reported to Ward that the handling of the Mobil 1 Tundra had improved, but still needed work.
- Following the second stage, Ward again brought Gilliland to pit road for four fresh tires, fuel and more significant adjustments.
Stage Three Recap
- Gilliland started the chaotic final stage in 11th and navigated his way through seven caution flags without major incident, remaining on the lead lap.
- Ward opted to bring Gilliland to pit road under caution on lap 154 for four tires, fuel and additional adjustments.
- Gilliland survived several late-race cautions and ultimately finished ninth, earning his 10th top-10 finish of the season.