Almirola Finishes Eighth in Clash at Daytona
● Aric Almirola (Started 18th, Finished 8th/ Running, completed 59 of 59 laps)
● Daniel Suárez (Started 10th, Finished 10th/ Running, completed 58 of 59 laps)
● Kevin Harvick (Started 6th, Finished 12th/ Running, completed 57 of 59 laps)
● Clint Bowyer (Started 15th, Finished 16th/ Accident, completed 55 of 59 laps)
● Aric Almirola started in 18th and drove to 16th by lap seven.
● Inclement weather postponed the race on lap eight. Almirola pitted for four tires and fuel under caution when racing resumed.
● The No. 10 Prime Fresh Smithfield Ford came to the pits on lap 24 for fuel only before the competition caution came out on lap 25.
● Almirola was caught speeding while exiting pit road and brought the No. 10 Ford Mustang back to the pits for fresh new tires.
● On lap 40, the second caution for rain postponed the race with Almirola in 18th place.
● When racing continued, the Ford Mustang driver stalked the field in and around the 17th position until a multicar accident on lap 57 involving 17 of the 20 cars brought out the final caution of the race.
● Inclement weather continued to dampen the racing surface while under caution, ultimately ending the race early.
● This was Almirola’s fourth career Clash appearance. His best finish was sixth in 2013.
● Jimmie Johnson won the Clash to score his second career Clash victory. His first Clash win came in 2005.
● The field was comprised of 2018 pole winners, former Clash winners, former Daytona 500 pole winners and 2018 playoff participants. A random draw determined starting positions.
The Gander RV Duel – twin 150-mile races that will set the rest of the Daytona 500 field – takes place at 7 p.m. EST on Thursday, Feb. 14 with live coverage on FS1. Speedweeks at Daytona then culminates with the 61st running of the Daytona 500 at 2:30 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 17, with live coverage provided by FOX beginning with its prerace show at 1 p.m.
Latest from Speedway Digest Staff
- Pit Pay announces Pit Pay Pole Challenge
- Entry Deadline For 2020 Lucas Oil Tulsa Shootout Is Approaching
- Atlanta Motor Speedway’s Ed Clark wins 2019 O. Bruton Smith Award
- Lucas Oil Chili Bowl Nationals Early Entry Deadline Approaching Fast
- South Carolina NASCAR Fan Joe Vaughn, Project HOPE Foundation Win The NASCAR Foundation’s 9th Annual Betty Jane France Humanitarian Award