Almirola Finishes Sixth in Monster Energy Open
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-20):
● Aric Almirola started first and finished sixth.
● Almirola put the No. 10 Smithfield/Waffle House Ford Fusion into the lead right at the beginning of the race and paced the field for the first 11 laps.
● Almirola noted that the front end of his car began to plow on lap 12.
● Pitted for four tires, fuel and adjustments at the end of Stage 1.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 21-40):
● Started seventh and finished sixth.
● Almirola drove back to second place before he was shuffled out of the lead draft and fell to seventh place.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 41-50):
● Started third and finished sixth.
● Almirola ran in and around the top-five during the final 10-lap dash.
● Almirola’s Smithfield/Waffle House Ford found momentum on the last lap, but was caught behind traffic as the stage ended.
The next event on the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series schedule is the Coca-Cola 600 on Sunday, May 27 at Charlotte Motor Speedway. The race starts at 6 p.m. EDT with live coverage provided by FOX beginning at 5:30 p.m.
Latest from Speedway Digest Staff
- AAN Adjusters Signs Multi-Race Sponsorship Deal With Tommy Joe Martins and Martins Motorsports for 2020 NASCAR Xfinity Series Season
- New year, new amenities: Bristol Motor Speedway to enhance guest raceday experience with fan friendly upgrades and concepts
- Drydene Xtreme DIRTcar Series Event at Cochran Canceled, Cherokee Set for Sunday
- Martins Motorsports renews partnership with Gilreath Farms Red Angus
- Christopher Bell ready for Daytona 500 debut with Procore