20th Place Finish for CSLFR at Dover
Circle Sport-Leavine Family Racing’s goal going into Dover International Speedway was to secure a Top-25 finish. Through perseverance and quick work by driver Michael McDowell in avoiding the late-race carnage, the No. 95 team secured a 20th place finish.
Friday’s qualifying session was rained out, forcing the No. 95 to start from the 28th position. McDowell battled a tight handling race car for most of the 400-lap race.
Just past the halfway point of the race, the No. 95 picked up a piece of debris on the nose of the car. Unable to dislodge the debris on the track, McDowell was forced to bring the No. 95 Chevrolet to pit road under green flag conditions, losing two laps to the rest of the field.
But, the team persevered and McDowell deftly avoided trouble in a string of late-race cautions, climbing into the 20th position at the finish, a career-best for the veteran driver at Dover.
“We had a crazy race, that’s for sure,” McDowell said. “We got trapped further back in the field when we had to pit under green to get the trash off the grill and lost two laps. We stuck with it and salvaged a solid Top-20 finish with all the attrition.”
Next up for Circle Sport-Leavine Family Racing will be the Sprint Showdown at Charlotte Motor Speedway on Friday, May 20 at 7:00 p.m. where McDowell will pilot the No. 95 WRL General Contractors Chevrolet.
Latest from Speedway Digest Staff
- Sonoma Raceway Spreads Holiday Cheer to More than 300 Children at “Race to the Holidays” Christmas Party
- Sioux Chief to Sponsor ARCA’s “Showdown” Series
- GMS Racing Announces Full-Time Crew Chief and Numbers Assignments for the 2020 Season
- Richmond Raceway Strikes Renewal with Go Bowling for 2020 Fall NASCAR Xfinity Series Regular Season Championship Race Entitlement
- Scott McLaughlin to test Team Penske IndyCar