Gilliland: 'You Can Really Let Your Car Go' at Phoenix
David Gilliland, driver of the No. 38 Long John Silver's Ford, comments on racing at Phoenix International Raceway:
"I really like Phoenix. I've won some races there in other series, and I have a lot of friends and family coming out. So I like it for that reason. And it's just a great racetrack. Definitely different than any other track we go to. It's even different within itself, looking at both ends. Turns 1 and 2 are quite a bit different than 3 and 4. It definitely drives like a short track, even though it's a mile long. It's tight and you're on the brakes, and you drive it like a short track. Definitely a unique place, but a special place for me.
"You have to drive it differently than anywhere else. That wall coming out of Turn 2, it used to feel like it was going to reach out and grab you. And it has grabbed me, more times than I'd probably like to admit. Since they've opened that up, you can really let your car go and get a good run getting into 3."
JUST THE FACTS: Gilliland has 16 Sprint Cup career starts at Phoenix International Raceway ... He has one top-15 at the one-mile oval... His top finish at Phoenix is 15th (2008) ... Long John Silver's returns as primary sponsor of the No. 38 Ford.
Latest from Speedway Digest Staff
- Tobias Dauenhauer becomes the first German to win a NASCAR race
- National Motorsports Appeals Panel Statement -- Mike Wallace
- Aric Almirola Racing Toward a Career ‘HighPoint’
- Daniel Suarez Toyota Driver Motivated To Post Solid Run for Team USA, Local Cancer Hero
- All American Speedway drivers close in on championships with round five on Saturday