Alex Tagliani Earns Runner-Up Finish at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park
Road course ace Alex Tagliani earned his career-best NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series finish at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park on Sunday with a runner-up finish in the No. 51 CanTorque Tundra. On Saturday morning, Tagliani was third-fastest in first Gander Trucks practice and ninth-fastest in final practice. On Sunday morning, Tagliani made his way to the second of two rounds of group qualifying where he posted the fourth-fastest lap. Following qualifying, Tagliani participated in the NASCAR Pinty's Series race, and after leading on the final lap, ended up finishing fourth.
As the green flag flew, Tagliani followed teammate Todd Gilliland into the third position, but soon reported that his Tundra was tight and he fell back, but an early pit stop for four tires, fuel and adjustments helped get him back on track and he was soon back near the front of the field. As the race came to a close, the Canadian driver was unable to gain on eventual winner Brett Moffitt, and he ultimately finished second in his fifth NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series start at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park.
Stage One Recap:
- Tagliani put the CanTorque Tundra in the fourth position to start the 64-lap race.
- The Canadian driver reported that his Tundra was tight in the opening laps, and he fell back to fifth place, after initially following teammate Todd Gilliland through to third.
- Crew chief Rudy Fugle brought Tagliani to pit road with six laps to go in the first stage and he took the green-checkered flag in 13th.
Stage Two Recap:
- Tagliani began the second stage in the second position after most of the trucks in front of him pitted during the stage break.
- He reported that the No. 51 Tundra did not have enough front grip and under caution on lap 30, Fugle brought him to pit road for four fresh tires and fuel.
- On the restart, Tagliani was once again 13th, but he quickly moved forward into the ninth position.
- Tagliani finished the second stage in eighth.
Stage Three Recap:
- In the final 24-lap stage, Tagliani started second and remained there through the closing laps despite a challenge from the hard-charging Ben Rhodes in the 99 truck.
- This was Tagliani's best career finish in the NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series in five starts at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park.
Latest from Speedway Digest Staff
- AMS adding open concourse, 360 bar for 2020 NASCAR weekend
- Charlotte Motor Speedway Prepares for Spectacular 60th Anniversary Season
- Breakout Country Music Superstar Chris Janson to Perform Electrifying Pre-Race Concert at the NASCAR All-Star Race
- From Graceland to Raceland: Elvis’ Pink Cadillac to Headline Charlotte Motor Speedway’s Pennzoil AutoFair
- World-Class Celebrity Chef Robert Irvine Develops Exquisite Menu for Coca-Cola 600
More in this category: « Burton's Solid Day Goes Up in Smoke North of the Border Hill Climbs Playoff Standings with Top-Five at CTMP »