Todd Gilliland and the No. 4 Mobil 1 team were running in the top-5 when their bad luck continued, and engine issues crippled their chances at a win on Thursday evening in the Buckle Up In Your Truck 225 at Kentucky Speedway. In two NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series practice sessions Thursday morning, Gilliland was 12th and sixth-fastest respectively. During single-vehicle qualifying on Thursday afternoon, Gilliland posted the third-fastest lap.
Gilliland was running firmly in the top-five when engine woes struck in the second stage. The No. 4 Mobil 1 team was unable to diagnose the problem on pit road, but they managed to nurse the ailing Toyota Tundra through most of the third stage before losing power and retiring to the garage with three laps to go in the event. Gilliland recorded a 17th-place finish.
Stage One Recap:
- After one round of single-vehicle qualifying on Thursday afternoon, Gilliland earned the third starting position.
- In the first stage, Gilliland reported that his Tundra was very good, but was a little bit free on entry, and tight in the center and exit of the corner.
- The talented teenager finished the first stage in third.
- Following the stage conclusion, crew chief Michael Shelton called Gilliland to pit road for two right side tires.
Stage Two Recap:
- Gilliland started the second stage in fourth after his pit stop.
- The teenage driver was running fifth when he started to lose power in the No. 4 machine, and Shelton called him to pit road under caution to attempt to diagnose the issue.
- The team was unable to determine the problem and Gilliland returned to the track with an audibly ailing engine in an attempt to complete the race.
Stage Three Recap
- Following another pit stop to work on the engine issues and change tires, Gilliland began the third stage in 15th.
- Unfortunately, the problems with the power plant did not resolve, and Gilliland was unable to do much more than make laps for the final stage.
- With three laps to go, Gilliland lost power completely and Shelton called him in to the garage.
- The teenager recorded a 17th-place finish.