Another Top-10 Finish for Todd Gilliland and the No. 4 Mobil 1 Team at Chicagoland
Todd Gilliland and the No. 4 Mobil 1 team earned another top-10 finish in the Camping World 225 at Chicagoland Speedway in Joliet, Ill. This was the team's seventh top-10 in 12 races this season. In three practice sessions on Thursday, Gilliland was third, ninth and 13th respectively. During single-vehicle qualifying on Friday afternoon, Gilliland posted the 13th-fastest lap.
Early in the race, Gilliland struggled to find a line that would agree with his Tundra.. By the time the second stage rolled around, the team adjusted the Mobil 1 machine and Gilliland began to improve, working into the top 10. In the final stage, they continued to gain, and eventually Gilliland would bring home a sixth-place finish.
Stage One Recap:
- Gilliland began the race in the 13th position after single-vehicle qualifying on Friday afternoon.
- In the first stage, Gilliland reported that he needed more rear grip, and his Tundra was tight on entry to the corner and loose on exit.
- Following the first stage, crew chief Michael Shelton brought the teenage driver to pit road for four tires, fuel and adjustments.
Stage Two Recap:
- Gilliland started the second stage in 14th after his pit stop.
- On lap 54, Gilliland made contact with the No. 54, and she was unable to maintain control, spinning and bringing out a caution, but Gilliland was able to avoid any significant damage to the Mobil 1 Tundra.
- During the yellow flag, Gilliland reported that his Tundra "just got way better," and he finished the second stage in 13th among fierce three-wide battles for position.
- Following the second stage, Shelton brought Gilliland to pit road for four tires and fuel.
Stage Three Recap
- After a fast four-tire stop between stages, Gilliland restarted in ninth.
- The talented teenager continued in the top 10 and charged as high as fifth.
- During the final round of green-flag pit stops, Shelton called Gilliland to pit road with 30 laps to go for four fresh Goodyear tires and Sunoco fuel. Once stops cycled around, Gilliland was in the sixth position.
- The second-generation racer brought his Mobil 1 Tundra across the line in sixth place, earning his seventh top-10 finish of the season.
« Brandon Jones Equals Career-Best with Second-Place Finish at Chicagoland in No. 51 Chigo/Menards Tundra Hill Earns First-Career Pole, Top-Five Finish in Chicago »
Latest from Speedway Digest Staff
- Coca-Cola 600 starting lineup at Charlotte Motor Speedway
- NTT INDYCAR SERIES Set for NBC Network Primetime Debut June 6 at Texas
- Daum Wins POWRi Opener At Valley Speedway; Windom Earns Runner-Up In USAC At Port City
- Rick Ware Racing and SS Green Light Align for the Remainder of the 2020 NASCAR Xfinity Series Season
- NC Lottery 200 starting lineup at Charlotte Motor Speedway