Todd Gilliland Finishes 15th at Martinsville Speedway After Top-10 Run in the No. 4 Mobil 1 Tundra
Todd Gilliland finished 15th in the TruNorth Global 250 at Martinsville Speedway after a promising top-10 run was soured in the closing laps after contact with another vehicle forced the No. 4 into the outside wall. Gilliland qualified the No. 4 Mobil 1 Toyota Tundra third, and remained in the top-10 most of the day, challenging for a top-five, as teammate Kyle Busch dominated.
Stage One Recap:
- After three rounds of group qualifying, Gilliland earned the third starting position.
- The 18-year-old battled a tight handling condition but held on to finish fourth in the first stage.
- Following the first stage, Richmond brought Gilliland to pit road for four fresh tires, fuel and adjustments to address the handling condition, but trouble on the stop lost the No. 4 team several positions.
Stage Two Recap:
- The start of the second stage saw Gilliland in the eighth position.
- With 22 laps remaining in the stage, Gilliland narrowly avoided a spinning truck, then visited pit road for four fresh tires and fuel.
- The young driver battled traffic on the restart, falling to 13th, but worked his way back up to finish the second stage in the 10th position, contributing to a total of eight stage points earned.
Stage Three Recap:
- Gilliland began the final stage in seventh and worked his way toward the front.
- After navigating his way through several late race cautions, Gilliland looked to be in a solid sixth place, but as the white flag flew, the No. 4 Tundra ran out of real estate and made contact with the outside wall. Gilliland lost positions, resulting in a 15th-place finish.
TruNorth Global 250 Recap:
- Kyle Busch won the race, with Ben Rhodes, Brett Moffitt, Ross Chastain and Stewart Friesen rounding out the top-five finishers.
- The race featured seven cautions for 50 laps and eight lead changes among four drivers.
How Gilliland's KBM Teammates Fared:
Harrison Burton, driver of the No. 18 Toyota Tundra, finished 11th
Raphael Lessard, driver of the No. 46 Toyota Tundra, finished 14th
Kyle Busch, driver of the No. 51 Toyota Tundra, finished first
NGOTS Championship Standings:
The No. 4 team completes the fourth race of the season with Gilliland ranked 9th in the Truck Series Driver Championship Standings, 25 points behind the leader.
Todd Gilliland and the No. 4 team will be back on track Friday, March 29 at Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth, Texas. Live coverage of the Vankor 350 begins at 9:00 p.m. EST on FS1.
Latest from Steven B. Wilson
- Thrill Seekers: Prepare To Go Over The Edge For A Worthy Cause At The Last Great Colosseum
- Iconic Names of Gordon, Earnhardt Jr. Rule the 2000s at Talladega
- Newman, No. 6 Team Quite the Buzz, but Hungry for More
- Defending ARCA Menards Series Champion Sheldon Creed to be Inducted into International Motorsports Hall of Fame ARCA Wall of Champions
- Late Model Drivers Looking Forward, Not To The Past Headed Into Saturday’s South Boston Race
More in this category: « Hill Finishes 16th in Physical Affair at Martinsville Burton and Safelite AutoGlass Team Finish 11th at Martinsville »