Early Contact Results in 17th-Place Finish for Gilliland at Phoenix
Todd Gilliland came to ISM Raceway hoping to capture his first win of the season after just missing it last weekend in Texas. It was not meant to be, however, as contact from another truck early in the race cost him a lap while making repairs on pit road. It took him nearly the entire race to return to the lead lap, leaving him with a 17th-place finish.
Stage One Recap:
- Gilliland started in 10th, but was clipped by the No. 17 Tundra on lap 27 causing both trucks to spin.
- He came to pit road for repairs to the right-rear quarterpanel, but lost a lap to the leaders while in the pits.
- He finished the first 45-lap stage in 23rd place, one lap down and pitted for four tires when he was able to bring his PEDIGREE® Tundra to pit road.
Stage Two Recap:
- When Stage Two began Gilliland was in 27th and still one lap down.
- He was in position to be the lucky dog a few times throughout the second stage, but was never able to get a caution when he needed it to regain his lap.
- When the second 45-lap stage ended he was 22nd and pitted again for four tires.
Stage Three Recap:
- Gilliland restarted the final stage in 21st place, one lap down.
- He was running lap times as fast as the 10th-place truck, but could not catch a break to get his lap back.
- A caution with nine laps to go put him back on the lead lap. He pitted for four tires and restarted 19th with three laps remaining.
- He gained two positions in the final laps to finish 17th.
Latest from Speedway Digest Staff
- Daniel Suarez ‘Open’ Season at Bristol for It’s Good To Be Genuine Toyota Driver
- Ocean and Petaluma on top for Western Midget Racing weekend
- Cole Custer All-Star Spot Secured with Kentucky Win
- Red Rock Secured to Donate TV Panel Space to Honor Donor Hero Nathan Davis
- Cash App to partner with Richard Petty Motorsports