Burton Finishes Sixth at First Intermediate-Track Start
Harrison Burton came to Texas Motor Speedway to make his first mile-and-a-half track start Friday in his No. 51 DEX Imaging Tundra. Burton had said before the race he came to race with the big boys at the big track, and that's just what he did. Learning with every lap, Burton finished the race in sixth place.
Stage One Recap:
- Burton started eighth and said his Tundra was free early in the race.
- He was still eighth when he pitted under caution on lap 22 for four tires to gain track position when the first stage was scheduled to end on lap 35.
- A caution on lap 32 ended the stage early with Burton in 16th place.
Stage Two Recap:
- After staying out Burton started the second 35-lap stage in third.
- A multi-truck accident brought out the caution a lap later. When the race resumed on lap 50, Burton moved up to second.
- On lap 58 Justin Haley was able to get by him, which opened the door for a few other trucks to follow, leaving Burton in seventh.
- A caution on lap 62 brought Burton to pit road for four tires before the stage ended.
- He was 13th for the restart on lap 64, but when the stage ended he was able to stay out and move up to second.
Stage Three Recap:
- Burton was second to start the final stage behind his KBM teammate Todd Gilliland.
- With 50 to go he was holding his own in third place.
- During a green-flag pit cycle, he pitted for fuel only on lap 117 and was good to go until the end of the race.
- The field was strung out and without another caution, Burton finished the race sixth for his first ever start on an intermediate-sized track.
Latest from Speedway Digest Staff
- Coca-Cola 600 starting lineup at Charlotte Motor Speedway
- NTT INDYCAR SERIES Set for NBC Network Primetime Debut June 6 at Texas
- Daum Wins POWRi Opener At Valley Speedway; Windom Earns Runner-Up In USAC At Port City
- Rick Ware Racing and SS Green Light Align for the Remainder of the 2020 NASCAR Xfinity Series Season
- NC Lottery 200 starting lineup at Charlotte Motor Speedway