David Gilliland Wins Pole & Earns a Podium Finish in Wild Talladega Race
It was an exciting weekend for veteran driver David Gilliland. He won the pole and finished third in his No. 51 PEDIGREE® Tundra, raced against his son Todd (also driving for Kyle Busch Motorsports) in his first superspeedway race and adopted an eight-week-old puppy during a PEDIGREE® appearance on Thursday at the Greater Birmingham Humane Society.
Stage One Recap:
- Gilliland won his second pole of the season in the PEDIGREE® Tundra. His first came at the season opener in Daytona while filling in for his son Todd in the No. 4 before he was old enough to compete at the bigger tracks.
- After leading the field to green, he settled into a single-file line in third for much of the first 20-lap stage.
- He was seventh when the stage ended and pitted for fuel only.
- As he pulled out of the stall, the fuel can was still attached and NASCAR issued a one-lap penalty for pitting outside the box.
Stage Two Recap:
- Gilliland was a lap down in 32nd place when the second stage began on lap 26.
- When the stage ended on lap 40, he was able to take the wave around to get back on the lead lap before pitting for four tires and fuel on lap 42.
Stage Three Recap:
- He was back up to 23rd on the lead lap when the final stage began.
- On lap 59 a multi-truck accident happened right in front of him. With help from his spotter, Gilliland made it though the wreckage without damage.
- He pitted for fuel only before the race resumed and lined up right behind his son Todd for the restart.
- The two pulled out to the lead with son leading father for several laps.
- With 20 laps to go the pair was shuffled back and the elder Gilliland was back in 13th. He worked his way back up to third just as Todd was spun into the wall going for the lead.
- The final restart came on lap 89 with Gilliland in second. Another accident happened on the final lap which brought out the yellow and the checkered flag. Based on the last scoring loop before the caution, Gilliland finished third.
David Gilliland, driver of the No. 51 PEDIGREE® Tundra for Kyle Busch Motorsports:
What was it like running first and second with Todd during the race?
"It was fun. The PEDIGREE® Tundra was really fast out here. I had a lot of fun being able to race with my son. It was a dream day until he got wrecked there. It was a bummer. It is Talladega. Stuff does happen. It was a lot of fun. A great weekend overall. We got the pole and finished well. Thank you to PEDIGREE®, Toyota, TRD (Toyota Racing Development) and Kyle Busch Motorsports. Everyone who lets us race here."
Fr8Auctions 250 Recap:
- Timothy Peters won the race followed by Myatt Snider, Gilliland, Justin Haley and Wendell Chavous rounded out the top-five finishers.
- The race featured six cautions for a total of 21 laps. There were 22 lead changes among 12 drivers. Todd Gilliland led twice for 13 laps while his KBM teammate Noah Gragson led three.
How Gilliland's KBM Teammates Fared:
Todd Gilliland, driver of the No. 4 Toyota, finished 20th
Noah Gragson, driver of the No. 18 Toyota, finished 13th
NCWTS Owner Championship Standings:
The No. 51 team remains eighth in the Truck Series Owner's Championship Standings, and was eliminated from the owner's championship playoffs.
Harrison Burton returns behind the wheel of the No. 51 Tundra for the remainder of the season when racing action resumes in two weeks on Saturday, Oct. 27 at Martinsville Speedway. Live coverage of the race begins at 1 p.m. ET on FS1.
Latest from Steven B. Wilson
More in this category: « Talladega doesn't disappoint Gilliland Leads Laps & Wins Stage, but Gets Spun at Talladega »