Gilliland Earns Best Career Truck Finish at Gateway
Todd Gilliland was Toyota's highest-finishing driver when he placed second in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) race at Gateway Motorsports Park. It was also his best career finish in the Truck Series. Gilliland made a run at the leader on the final green-white-checker restart, but didn't have quite enough to catch him the closing laps.
Stage One Recap:
- Gilliland started eighth in the No. 4 Royal Canin Tundra.
- He fought the handling early in the race as the truck was free in, but tight in the center of the corners and off.
- He pitted under caution on lap 24 just before the first stage ended for four tires and adjustments to help the handling.
- Gilliland restarted 17th and was up to 12th when the stage ended on lap 35.
Stage Two Recap:
- Since he was able to stay out during the stage break, Gilliland restarted fourth.
- He quickly moved up to second, and then settled into third by lap 55.
- When the second stage ended Gilliland pitted for right-side tires and a track bar adjustment to help his entry into the corners.
Stage Three Recap:
- Gilliland started the final 90-lap stage in third place.
- The truck remained tight, so he pitted for left-side tires under caution on lap 99.
- The final 60 laps of the race were slowed by several cautions and even a red flag to clean up oil on the track.
- While running fourth, there was a final caution with six laps to go. The race resumed with two laps remaining. Gilliland was third but with a great restart, moved up into second place. He tried his best to chase down Justin Haley, but did not have quite enough time and finished second.
Latest from Steven B. Wilson
- Lucas Oil Late Model Doubleheader Weekend Canceled
- SCC, Ballad Health and Niswongers Children's Hospital Partner To Create New Initiative Aimed At Improving The Lives of The Region's Children
- Comcast Bringing Back Popular "Watch Us Watch NASCAR" To @Xfinity On Twitter For NASCAR Xfinity Series Race At Dover International Speedway
- Grossi and Nascimento Partner To Field Holmes At Madera
- Legendary Foyt Cements Legacy with Bronze Brick at IMS
More in this category: « GMS Racing NCWTS Gateway Recap Herbst Scores Top-10 Finish in Truck Series Debut »