Justin Haley No. 24 Fraternal Order of Eagles Chevrolet Silverado Canadian Tire Motorsport Park Recap
Justin Haley, making his second start at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (CTMP), turned the fastest lap in the first round of multi-vehicle qualifying on Saturday afternoon and looked to sit on the pole before a last minute battle for the top spot. He earned his best qualifying result of the season to start second for the Chevrolet Silverado 250.
The 18-year-old rookie fell back to the fifth position on the initial start, reporting to crew chief Kevin Bellicourt that the No. 24 was free. As the field approached the end of stage one on lap 20, the Fraternal Order of Eagles Chevrolet began to shift toward a tight-handling condition, but he maintained his position to finish the stage in fifth. Under caution, he visited pit road for four tires and fuel, but a slow stop caused him to lose track position and restart 19th for the start of the second stage.
Haley gained three positions on the restart only to be slowed by the second caution of the day on lap 26. He came to pit road under green on lap 36 for fuel only and returned to the track to complete the second stage in the 14th position. As the leaders came to pit road during the break, Haley stayed on track to line up fifth for the final stage.
The Winamac, Ind., native took advantage of two cautions early in the final stage to sit second behind teammate Kaz Grala with nine laps remaining in the race. As the laps wound down, Haley fell back to fourth to earn his second top-five finish of the 2017 season and first top-10 at CTMP.
“Our Fraternal Order of Eagles Chevrolet was really fast. I had a lot of fun out there today, but we needed to execute better on pit road to be there at the end. We’ll go for another shot at a win and a spot in The Playoffs at Chicagoland (Speedway) in a few weeks.”
- Haley remains 11th in the driver championship points standings and eighth in the owner point standings.
GMS Racing PR
Latest from Steven B. Wilson
- Sonic Financial Corporation Submits Non-Binding Proposal to Acquire Speedway Motorsports, Inc.
- MoneyLion and Ford Performance Introduces Sweepstakes To Give Away Three Custom Mustangs Built By Team Penske Drivers
- Bristol Burnout Fitness Competition Comes To The Colosseum
- Friday Night Thunder at Kingsport Speedway
- David Ragan to Bring Shriners Hospitals for Children Colors to Talladega