A Left and Right Day for Gilliland
Rookie Todd Gilliland brought home a hard-fought 11th-place finish in Sunday afternoon's NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) race at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park in the No. 51 PEDIGREE® Toyota Tundra. This was Gilliland's career-best finish in the Truck Series in only his third start of the 2017 season for Kyle Busch Motorsports (KBM).
Stage One Recap:
- Gilliland took the green from the 13th position to start his first road-course race in the NCWTS. By the end of Lap 1, the No. 51 PEDIGREE® Tundra had already made its way into the top 10. The rookie handled a loose truck for the remainder of Stage One, but when the caution flew to end the stage he was running ninth.
Stage Two Recap:
- After a four-tire stop on pit road, Gilliland restarted from the 18th position because of various pit strategies on the track. By Lap 30 the 17-year-old was back inside the top 10, still dealing with a free Tundra. Gilliland used the rest of the stage to find his groove on the track and maintain his running position. When Stage Two ended he was scored 10th.
Stage Three Recap:
- Gilliland started Stage Three by not making a trip down pit road when the lead trucks on the track did. With only 20 to go in the race, Gilliland took the restart on the front row in the second position. He was shuffled back on the restart, but when the next caution flag flew he was seventh in line. After an aggressive four-wide restart, Gilliland settled down in 10th. On Lap 54 the No. 51 Toyota Racing team made the call to put four fresh tires on the Tundra during a caution. Gilliland then raced his way through the field and when the checkered flag flew he crossed the finish line 11th.
Latest from Speedway Digest Staff
- Jonathan Findley Back In Action Friday With CARS Tour
- Nolan Pope Targets Ace For CARS Tour Return
- CMI Motorsports welcomes POPPIN' PIZZA on board at Atlanta
- Speedway Motorsports President & CEO Marcus Smith Statement on News of NASCAR’s Return to Nashville
- Nashville Superspeedway to host the NASCAR Cup Series in 2021