Austin Cindric Joins BKR at Martinsville
Brad Keselowski Racing announced today that Austin Cindric will drive the team's No. 29 Cooper Standard Ford F-150 in the October 31 Kroger 200 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Martinsville (Va.) Speedway.
Cindric, 17, is making his first-ever NASCAR start at the .526-mile speedway. Austin has racked up 28 starts across seven different series in 2015 including Automobile Racing Club of America, Red Bull Global Rallycross Lites and the IMSA Continental Series. The Columbus, Ohio native won four races in GRC competition this season and became the youngest winner ever in the Continental Tire Series when he won at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada). Cindric made two starts in ARCA competition (Iowa Speedway and Kentucky Speedway) where he scored one top five (fourth-place at Iowa in his first start ) and led a combined 56 laps in those two races.
"One of the things I wanted to do at BKR is give talented young drivers an opportunity," Keselowski said. "Austin Cindric already has an incredibly diverse racing background. We're happy to give him an opportunity in the Cooper Standard Ford F-150 at Martinsville to learn what it's like to compete at a high level in NASCAR and to gain experience so he'll be prepared to take the next step in his career."
Cindric grew up in a racing environment surrounded by elite teams, drivers, and manufacturers including the legendary Team Penske where his father, Tim Cindric, has been president since 1999.
"I'm really looking forward to getting behind the wheel of the Cooper Standard Ford F-150 and can't thank Brad enough for this opportunity," Cindric said. "I've never been to Martinsville so it'll be a whole new experience. I'll just take it lap by lap and absorb as much information as possible. I just need to make sure I gain the respect of the competitors because I'm new to the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series. I have no expectations. I'll just take what the weekend brings me and go from there."
Austin currently resides in Mooresville, N.C., and is a junior at Cannon School in Concord, N.C. He is a three-time Presidential Fitness Award Winner who enjoys mountain biking, water sports and music and he participates in the high school band (Euphonium/Tuba).
Austin Cindric Career Highlights
- Five wins (4 GRC, 1 IMSA) in 2015
- 11 podium finishes in three different series (8 GRC, 2 IMSA, 1 SCCA Pirelli World Challenge) in 2015
- Youngest ever IMSA Continental Tire Series Winner (Canadian Tire Motorsport Park)
- Nominated to the 2015 Team USA Scholarship Team
- X-Games Medalist in the Red Bull Global Rallycross Lites Series
- Youngest driver to ever compete in the Bathhurst 12 Hour
- Selected as a Porsche North American Junior Academy Driver - one of just five drivers chosen
- Youngest driver ever to achiever a podium finish in the Cooper Tires USF2000 Series
- Youngest race winner in Historic Sportscar Racing Series
Latest from Speedway Digest Staff
- Statement from Richmond Raceway President Dennis Bickmeier on Seven-Time NASCAR Cup Series Champion Jimmie Johnson
- Statement from NASCAR Chairman & CEO Jim France on Jimmie Johnson retirement
- FOX NASCAR Analysts React to Jimmie Johnson's Announced Retirement Following 2020 NASCAR Season
- IMS Salutes Four-Time Brickyard Winner Johnson upon Retirement Announcement
- Route 66 Raceway announces 2020 major event schedule
More in this category: « Dalton Sargeant Makes Third NCWTS Start with Wauters Motorsports at Martinsville Speedway The final four has Crafton needing to "Clock-In" at Martinsville »