Familiar territory has Hayley optimistic for Dover
Turning his focus to the fastest one-mile track on the NCWTS circuit, Dover (Del.) International Speedway, the 18-year-old rookie is optimistic as he heads to familiar territory for the first time this season. Although Hayley will be making his sixth track debut of 2015 behind the wheel of his No. 13 Carolina Nut Co. Toyota Tundra, the ThorSport Racing driver has previous experience on Dover's high banks in the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East. In 2014, Hayley started second, and led 53 laps, until a flat right front tire late in the race left the Canadian driver mired two laps down, relegating him to a 13th-place finish.
Using his previous track experience, partnered with a recent rookie test at the "Monster Mile," the ThorSport Racing driver is eager to put his new knowledge to the test and chase after his first NCWTS win in Friday's Lucas Oil 200.
Sounding off - Cameron Hayley:
"We learned a ton at Dover during the test; it's such a fast place. There's so much load on the tires that it's fairly comparable to the mile-and-half stuff. We were able to learn little things here and there setup-wise, that I think can help us a lot. It should be a good race for us."
"I was kind of thrown to the 'monster' and expected to survive last year. Our practice day got rained out and we had 45 minutes on the track to be fast. We ended up third in practice, qualified second and led the first half of the race, lapping up to fifth. Unfortunately, I got a flat right front tire late in the race, had to come in to pit and restarted 15th, two laps down. I actually passed the leader coming to the checkered flag, which was a huge accomplishment, but I was still mired a lap down and finished 13th."
Latest from Speedway Digest Staff
- NBC Sports NASCAR Hot Pass presents hyper-focused simulcast coverage over 2019 Championship Four contenders on NBCSN
- Cole Custer and No. 00 Haas Automation Team Vie for 2019 NASCAR Xfinity Series Championship
- Kevin Harvick and No. 4 Busch Light Team Vie for 2019 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Championship
- SS Green Light Racing Continues to Impress with Top-15 Runs in Phoenix
- Special Edition Championship 4 News & Notes - NASCAR Xfinity Series & NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series