Cameron Hayley finishes 14th in Atlanta debut
Sunoco Rookie of the Year contender, Cameron Hayley made his second track debut of the 2015 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) season at Atlanta (Ga.) Motor Speedway (AMS) on Saturday night. The 18-year-old driver continued to show strength in just his fifth NCWTS start, as he was the fastest ThorSport Racing driver in the lone NCWTS practice on Friday and qualifying on Saturday morning.
Starting third in the Hyundai Construction Equipment 200, Hayley battled a Toyota Tundra that was "loose in both corners." Crew chief Jeff Hensley would bring the Cabinets by Hayley machine to pit road three times at laps 19, 51, and 98, respectively, for four tires and fuel. Maintaining a position inside the top-15 throughout the 130-lap race, Hayley would cross the stripe in the 14th position behind race winner and ThorSport Racing teammate, Matt Crafton.
The top-15 performance allowed Hayley to gain three positions in the 2015 NCWTS driver point standings. The ThorSport Racing driver is currently 15th in points, a mere 36 points behind leader Tyler Reddick.
"It was a really tough night for me and this entire No. 13 ThorSport Racing team. We just fought the handling in our Toyota Tundra, and it multiplied it by 100 on a worn out track like Atlanta. I got a ton better on my pit stops and learned a lot about the truck in traffic. There is a lot to learn before my next mile-and-a-half track."
Latest from Speedway Digest Staff
- Coca-Cola 600 starting lineup at Charlotte Motor Speedway
- NTT INDYCAR SERIES Set for NBC Network Primetime Debut June 6 at Texas
- Daum Wins POWRi Opener At Valley Speedway; Windom Earns Runner-Up In USAC At Port City
- Rick Ware Racing and SS Green Light Align for the Remainder of the 2020 NASCAR Xfinity Series Season
- NC Lottery 200 starting lineup at Charlotte Motor Speedway