Blaney Celebrates First 2014 Truck Series Victory with Roush Yates Engines
Ryan Blaney and German Quiroga drag-raced to the checkered Sunday afternoon at Canadian Tire Motorsports Park in the Chevrolet Silverado 250. Leading into Sunday’s race Blaney was third in points trailing championship leader Johnny Sauter by only 24 points. Blaney followed truck owner, Brad Keselowski’s lead after winning the first truck race for Ford of the season last Thursday at Bristol Motor Speedway.
The first 45 laps in the 64-lap event ran without a yellow until John Hunter Nemechek slowed to stop on the track. An extended caution resulted allowing the green back on lap 52.
With only 8 laps to go of the final restart, Quiroga was knocking on Blaney’s door for the number one spot. Blaney was able to hold the lead while behind him polesitter and fellow teammate Alex Tagliani made a charge from seventh to the fourth spot, but would end up 16th after losing control in turns 5 and 6.
The last lap on the 2.45 mile road course, Quiroga drafted Blaney down the back straightaway as they battled side-by-side going into turn 8. Quiroga took the lead exiting turn 9, but Blaney was able to battle back showing his strength on the straightaway and picking up the victory. Johnny Sauter finished eighth and leaves Canada with his Truck Series points lead over teammate Matt Crafton who finished sixth.
“I noticed since that last restart that he would get huge tows down the back stretch and just a huge draft,” Blaney said. “I had to protect as best I could. He was able to get to my left side, and I didn’t think he could stay out there. But I got really, really loose underneath him there in that corner. The old-school short track racing cross-over move, I guess, worked on him. We’ve had fast trucks all year!”
The dramatic finish brought back memories of last year’s race for the win between Chase Elliot and Ty Dillon’s at CTMP. Blaney and Quiroga managed to race each other clean throughout the entire race leading to the checkered flag.
Latest from Steven B. Wilson
- Pre-Race Ceremonies presented by Virginia 811 to Create Memorable Moments for Go Bowling 250 & Federated Auto Parts 400 on Sept. 20-21
- Liberty University extends 12-race sponsorship of William Byron's No. 24 team through 2021
- Join IMS Museum’s “Over the Ropes/Under the Hood” Event Oct. 15 for Unprecedented Access to Legendary Cars, Expert Commentary
- World Wide Technology Raceway partners with IdealSeat; Is the first motorsports facility to utilize this technology
- Five Drivers Will Highlight Pre-Race Experience at Martinsville Speedway During First Data 500 Weekend